Saturday 19 February 2011

Class 1

Today was the first day of my course on Silversmith at Central Saint Martins and I woke up as excited as a child going on a school trip.

Once I was there, I met all the other students and teacher Linda started going through what we were going to do. For some reason, I thought we could to do any silverware piece as long as  determined techniques were applied, but no. We were shown a cute little silver box with a lid on and told that making another one of those was our task for te next weeks.
So we started.

The whole thing is way more complicated than it looks. We have to measure everything and if anything isn't exactly right....well, the lid won't close, the bottom won't fit and the silver goes to waste.

Once all the measuring and marking was done, I was relieved. Out with the maths, in with the craft!
We aren't even near finishing it and I know that I'll have to start measuring and calculating boring bits by the time we get to the lid, but I'm enjoying the process.

The stages where I'm soldering, piercing and stitching are my favorites. I love seen things on paper been transformed into something concrete, real.

So far, I think is a great course and I feel like I learned a lot today.
If it weren't for the "engineering square" ( a tool to measure exact angles :-/ ), it would have been perfect!
  Everything I'm learning with this project can be applied to the jewellery making, which is perfect, but one thing is for sure:

This is the only silver box I'm ever gonna make!
 Ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment